UA2 is flexible bass solution designed to complement Uploud Audio UA1. Home cinemas and music systems in larger spaces are typical situations in which additional boom and oomph are welcome addition for UA1 speakers.
Key idea of UA2 was to leave the floor intact. Big part of the UA1's appeal is that it doesn't have practically any spatial footprint. I wanted to design a bass speaker that would seamlessly continue the style of UA1 and allow multiple placement options. I was well aware that one size wouldn't provide the capacity for all needs. That's why UA2 allows scaling from one unit basic system to megalomaniac setup with four bass modules. And it's not just a subwoofer. I wanted the UA1 + UA2 combo to form the whole wall speaker portfolio of Uploud Audio.
UA2 has a built in passive crossover which does low-pass for subwoofer drivers. It also provides a dedicated speaker level output for UA1 speaker which has a fixed high-pass filtering. This way the two speakers actually form a big 3-way passive loudspeaker. You can even hook two UA2s in series to double the power handling and further improve sound quality. And there is only one cable going to the whole speaker combo.
The crossover is easy to bypass which allows the user to have his/her own DSP and amplification for both UA1 and UA2. This is a natural choice for home cinemas which nowadays are based on highly configurable AV-receivers. In LFE mode the UA2 handles bass from the whole speaker setup as opposed to the individual channel in passive mode.
UA2 gets its kick from two 6,5 inch subwoofer drivers made by Norwegian high-end manufacturer SEAS. These may sound small for a subwoofer but wait until you hear them. These little guys allow massive cone excursions and take in more power than your neighbor is okay with.
As a recap, here's the complete list of possible UA2+UA1 configurations.
- 2.1 traditional stereo setup, active filtering
- 2.1 soundbar stereo, active filtering
- 2.2 passive three-way, vertical layout
- 2.2 active three-way, vertical layout
- 2.4 passive threeway, vertical layout
- 2.4 active threeway, vertical layout
- 4.1 in LFE mode, LR+sub soundbar layout
- 4.1 in LFE mode, traditional layout
- 5.2 in LFE mode (or 7.2 etc.), LCR + subs soundbar layout
- 5.2 in LFE mode (or 7.2 etc.), C+subs soundbar layout
- 5.2 in LFE mode (or 7.2 etc.), vertical layout
- 5.4 in LFE mode (or 7.4 etc.), vertical layout
- Last but not least, for those of you who are completely hifi crazed: You can build a friggin' Double Bass Array with UA2s.
UA2 will be launched when design is fully finished and production funding matters are sorted out.